There’s something about waffles that just says “weekend.” I love to make these breakfast bites for my family on a Sunday morning. My husband and children love them! What they don’t know is that these delicious waffles are full of healthy whole wheat and ground flax seed. What they do know, is that they taste so good! I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does–weekend or not.
Ingredients (yields 3 waffles)
- 1 cup of unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole or 2% milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1-2 cups chopped fresh organic berries
- Maple syrup
- Waffle iron
- Non stick cooking spray (I like Spectrum Natural Canola Oil Spray)
Plug in your waffle iron so it gets nice and hot while you prepare the batter.
Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, flax seed and salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix with a fork or wire whisk to make sure they are evenly distributed.
Add the eggs, milk and melted butter to the bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
Lightly spray your waffle iron with the non-stick cooking spray.
Using a small ladle, scoop some of the batter into the center of the waffle iron. Be careful not to add too much batter or it will overflow and make a big mess (I learned this the hard way). Allow the batter to spread out a little before adding more. Close the waffle iron.
Let the waffle cook for 3-5 minutes then open the iron and lift the fluffy waffle out with a fork.
Place the waffle on a plate and top with berries and maple syrup.
–Liza Huber, Author and Founder of Sage Spoonfuls