Victoria Belanger is the blogger behind The Jello Mold Mistress of Brooklyn. She creates craft Jello molds in unexpected flavors and artistic presentations. This summery, fruity recipe is excerpted from her new book, Hello, Jell-O! 50+ Inventive Recipes for Gelatin Treats and Jiggly Sweets.
Underlined steps denote where mini sous chefs can help.
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 package strawberry flavored gelatin (3 oz)
- 1 c chopped fresh or frozen and thawed strawberries
- 1/2 c cold water
- Rind from 5 limes, halved,
- with pulp scooped out and discarded
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or basil seeds
In a bowl, add boiling water to gelatin and stir the gelatin until fully dissolved. Transfer gelatin to a blender. Add strawberries and cold water and blend until liquefied.
Refrigerate until thickened, about 90 minutes.
Skim off any foam that has risen to the top and stir mixture to evenly distribute the strawberry puree. Spoon into lime rind halves. Refrigerate until firm, at least three hours.