When it comes to maternity fashion, today a wide variety of brands are developing stylish and affordable maternity clothes, making it easier than ever before to find styles that moms-to-be want to wear. In honor of Maternity Fashion Week, zulily has compiled their second annual list of the year’s “10 Best-Dressed Bumps,” featuring celebrity moms with the most enviable maternity style.
Use these 10 celebs as inspiration for your bump-friendly wardrobe, and take note of the great maternity style tips below from Robin Otto, zulily’s maternity fashion expert.
zulily’s top 10 “Best-Dressed Bumps”
- Blake Lively: Just wow. Her debut bump photo with mixed prints gave us all goosebumps and it’s not stopped since! Between her red carpet styles (who can forget the backless black number) to her everyday eclectic looks, she always looks chic no matter what.
- Kristen Bell: For her second pregnancy, Kristen showed a great balance of fashion and comfort, and we couldn’t agree more with her when it comes to keeping your maternity clothes fitted. From florals to fitted formal looks, Kristen knows what works for her body and rocks it with panache.
- Kate Middleton: No surprise that Princess Kate made the list again for nailing classic elegance the second time around. Kate knows how to pick silhouettes that flatter her figure and give her a prim and polished look, but can also rock jeans and coats that exude a casual and preppy vibe, when appropriate. Almost everything Kate wears sells out immediately – enough said.
- Carrie Underwood:What negative thing is there to say about this lovely southern belle? She was absolutely glowing when she hosted the CMA awards, wearing 10 absolutely stunning different looks that all fit her beautifully. Our favorite? The sweet, pale-pink Randi Rahm that accentuated the singer’s growing bump.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt: If there was a bohemian category on this list, Jennifer would own it. We love seeing her rock fabulous prints, which many women tend to stay from. She’s not afraid to show off her bump with some more fitted pieces as well, which can typically be more flattering.
- Tamera Mowry: This already busy mother of one has not let that slow her down in the fashion department. Tamera has been looking awesome throughout her pregnancy and has not been afraid to wear color. Remember, skip the black!
- Kourtney Kardashian: While many folks have a love/hate relationship with Kardashian fashion, when it comes to pregnancy style, Kourtney has had plenty of practice! With a super petite figure, Kourtney does a great job of wearing silhouettes that work well, and has been known to incorporate both maternity and non-maternity clothes into her wardrobe.
- Ali Larter: Ok, here is the exception to the “avoid all-black” rule, because no one makes it look cooler than Ali. This effortless beauty has been looking radiant throughout her pregnancy and knows how to make an all black ensemble pop by pairing it with the right accessory.
- Shakira: With baby number two on the way, this Latin rocker has not given up her penchant for spicy, sexy style – just look at that deep V-neck! We also love her “inspired gift registry” that encourages people to donate food, vaccines and other supplies to needy children. Sexy AND giving – now that is a combo!
- Zooey Deschanel: Although the news is very fresh of Zooey expecting her first baby with Jacob Pechenik, we expect that her usual indie vibe will translate throughout her pregnancy. She promises to be a fun one to watch in the coming nine months!
“While these women have mastered everything from casual to runway style, you don’t need to have their budget to reproduce many of these looks at affordable prices,” said Otto. “With the right jeans, a few tops, and some easy-to-follow tips, anyone can have a well styled bump.”
#1- Invest in a great pair of maternity jeans.
Purchase a pair of over-the-belly denim when you are about 13-16 weeks along. It may seem unnecessary in the early stages, but you will be grateful that you have them once you hit the 6-month mark.
*Style Tip: you can fold over the belly to create an underbelly jean if you do not fill out the belly band or if you need added support at the hip area. You can also do the same thing after pregnancy, stretching (pun intended!) the life of your jeans.
#2- Look for side-ruched tops.
“Side-ruched” tops are great because they hide the early pregnancy belly when you haven’t quite popped yet, as well as camouflage any problem areas after baby has arrived.
*Style Tip: Look out for tees like that are 100% cotton. They do not hold their shape as well as tops with a spandex blend.
#3 Buy true maternity wear instead of just going up a size.
Maternity clothes are fit to a pregnant model and designed with a drape to accommodate a growing baby bump. Invest in key pieces to get you comfortably through pregnancy.
*Style Tip: If you want to utilize some of your pre-pregnancy wear, put on your pre-pregnancy blazers and cardigans open and pair them with a fitted maternity tee and maternity pants.
Expecting moms can create these looks for less during zulily’s Maternity Fashion Week event, 2/9-2/13, featuring the following brands:
- 2/9 – Madeleine Maternity
- 2/10 – Spring Trend Item Must Have: Kimonos & Cardigans
- 2/10 – Maternal America
- 2/11 – Lilac Maternity
- 2/11 – Spring Trend Item Must Have: Tunics
- 2/12 – Imanimo & David Lerner
- 2/13 – Rosie Pope
To learn more about zulily and shop for the hottest trends for moms of all ages and their kids, go to zulily.com.