This year, instead of buying Valentine’s Day cards for your kids’ classes—ones they’re likely to receive multiples of—make these pompom critters with your kids! Michaels craft store shares an easy craft for kids that will keep your little ones busy for an afternoon.
Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and that means hearts, candy, flowers, and cards—especially cards for your kids’ classmates. Rather than buying premade Valentine’s Day cards that are a dime a dozen (how many variations of superhero and popular cartoon Valentine’s Day puns can there really be?), try making these adorable love bugs with your kids for their friends. We’re almost positive these critters will be hanging out on desks long after the holiday has passed.
Editor’s note: While this DIY calls for specific brands readily available at Michaels stores, feel free to use your favorite brands or products that are available in your local craft store.
Duration: 15 minutes or less
Craft Level: Beginner
- Foam Heart Stickers By Creatology®
- Creatology™ Pom Poms, Sparkle Mix
- Creatology™ Assorted Wiggle Eyes
- Creatology™ Chenille Stems
- Elmer’s® Washable School Glue
- Artist’s Loft™ Aluminum Straight Edge Ruler
- Choose a large heart sticker for the Critter’s feet. Do not peel the backing paper off the sticker. Lay it flat on the table with the rounded part of the heart facing forward.
- Choose a large pompom and glue it to the top of the heart sticker.
- Optional: Glue a medium pompom on top of the large pompom to create a head, separate from the body.
- Glue two wiggle eyes to the large pompom. Tip: Another fun way to add eyes is to glue two wiggle eyes to two tiny pompoms and then glue the tiny pompoms to the large pompom.
- Cut a piece of chenille stem about 2 inches long and fold in half. Glue two tiny pompoms to each end and then glue the folded part to the top of the large Pompom Critter’s body. Let dry.
- Optional: Choose a heart sticker and glue the bottom pointed end of the heart to the lower back of the body, creating a tail.