Add a little sparkle to your holiday season with these crafty gift ideas, perfect for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or just because! Create a cozy mug with some added flair to enjoy a nice cup of hot cocoa, an abstract art canvas to unleash your inner Picasso, or a shining ornament to make your tree stand out. No matter what your occasion for gift giving, make it extra special with something handmade…and glittery! These crafts, excerpted from “Glitter!” by Adams Media, are sure to make your holiday season one to remember!
Make a (dishwasher safe) glitter-dipped mug with easy-to-find items!
- Masking tape
- Glass or porcelain mug
- Dishwasher safe mod podge
- Tape off your mug and use paintbrush to apply mod podge below the tapeline.
- Now go glitter-crazy!
- Peel off tape and let dry for 4-8 hours.
- Use paintbrush to dab a coat of mod podge over the glitter. Let sit for 28 days before washing. Beware: Friends will be tempted to “borrow” it.
Abstract Art Canvas
Whether you’re a modern Picasso or more of a “stick-figure specialist,” there’s a way to unleash your inner glitter artist: easy abstract canvas art!
Ta-da! Friends will insist that it’s store-bought
What you’ll need:
- Plain art canvas
- Masking tape
- Mod podge
- Tape off canvas to create the pattern you want to make.
- Paint over canvas with mod podge.
- Pour on your glitter.
- Let dry, then tap the canvas over a piece of paper to shed any excess glitter.
- Carefully peel off tape.
Give the gift of glitter this season with glitter ornaments!
All you need is:
- Glass bulb ornaments
- Floor finish
- Piece of paper
- Fine glitter
- Remove metal ornament caps and pour a tablespoon of floor finish into each bulb.
- Use paper to funnel glitter into bulbs, then swirl the bulbs around to coat the inside of the ornament with the glitter mixture.
- Pour out excess mixture and let bulbs dry for 10 minutes before replacing metal caps. Tie off each ornament with a sparkly bow and share the shimmer with friends and family this year.
Excerpted from “Glitter!” by Adams Media. Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Interior design and images by Colleen Cunningham.