Not ready to let go of summer just quite yet? Neither am I. Which is why I’m loving these decadent s’mores cookies–they transport you right back to the balmy nights and beachside bonfires of the most relaxing vacations ever. Created by Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club Executive Chef Phili Flath, the fudgy, chocolatey treats boast a wonderful texture that’s at once gooey and crunchy, thanks to mini marshmallows and semi-crushed graham crackers.
Two notes of caution: You won’t want to crush the graham crackers too finely, or you’ll lose the crunch. And when you’re placing cookies on the baking sheet, fold any mini marshmallows that might have ended up on the sides into the middle of its cookie, otherwise they’ll melt off and caramelize on the sheet instead of getting gooey in the cookie.
P.S. If you’re already jonesing for your next weekend escape, I did love staying at Ocean Edge in the Cape Cod town of Brewster. Check out my story on fall family travel in New England for more itinerary inspiration.
Ingredients (makes approximately 3 dozen)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup graham crackers, slightly crushed
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (or large marshmallows cut into small pieces)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, preferably with a paddle attachment, add butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated and mixture becomes slightly fluffy.
- With mixer running, add eggs, one at a time until each is mixed well.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, slowly add flour mixture, allowing to be mixed in well.
- Add chocolate chips, graham crackers, and marshmallows; fold in on low speed. To avoid crushing chips and crackers, do not over-mix.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes (or until done). Allow to cool for 6-8 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.