Everyone loves burgers, hot dogs and potato salad, but there are tons of
new and inspired recipes for the grill that will be a treat for parents
and kids alike. To help you get started, the contributing chefs to our Yummy Delicious family food blog offered
up some of their favorite seasonal recipes, perfect for families.
ASIAN BARBECUE GRILLED TOFU
Recipe from Jenna Helwig, the founder of Rosaberry.com, culinary instructor and personal chef.
Ingredients ( Serves 4)
2 14-oz. packages extra firm tofu
2/3 cup Hoisin sauce
1 T honey
1 T soy sauce
1 T chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Remove the tofu from the packages and dry with paper towels.
2. Slice each block of tofu in half lengthwise.
3. Lay two layers of paper towels on a large cutting board. Place the tofu on the paper towels and cover with two more layers of paper towels. Place plates, or other heavy dishes, on the tofu and let sit for 20 minutes. This will help expel excess water from the tofu.
4. In a large glass or ceramic dish (like Pyrex) stir together the Hoisin sauce, honey, and soy sauce. Transfer the tofu slices to the
marinade and coat all of the pieces. Cover the dish with plastic wrap
and let the tofu marinate for up to two hours.
5. Preheat and oil the
grill. Grill the tofu for four minutes per side. Garnish the tofu with
cilantro and serve.
CORN BLACK BEAN MEDLEY
Recipe from Jessi Walter, the founder of the NYC kids cooking program Cupcake Kids!
Ingredients (Serves 10-12)
1 T olive oil
2 t red wine vinegar
Juice from 1-2 limes
1 t pepper
1 t salt
1 can black beans
1 can corn, rinsed and drained or 1 C fresh
1 C onion, chopped
2 t cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, diced
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and season with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
2. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS
Recipe from New York Family’s Style Director Joy Sherwood, the blogger behind Joy of Shopping.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 lbs. colossal shrimp
C olive oil
1 T minced garlic
C dried seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 C fresh parsley
1/3 C Parmesan
1. Peel and clean shrimp.
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl and add shrimp to mixture; toss. Let shrimp sit for 30 minutes to baste.
3. Skewer shrimp and grill for two to three minutes for each side.
4. Serve and enjoy.
LEMON ROSEMARY CHICKEN
Recipe from Kelsey Banfield, the blogger behind The Naptime Chef.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 lemons, halved and juiced (save juice and rind)
6 cloves of garlic (smashed with flat side of knife)
6 whole sprigs of rosemary
1 C olive oil
2 t salt
t red pepper (crushed or cayenne works)
1 t cinnamon
1. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Pierce breasts several times with fork tines. Drop chicken into a Ziploc bag.
2. In a separate bowl, mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt and spices. Pour on top of chicken and squish chicken around in the Ziploc to make sure chicken is fully coated.
3. Add lemon halves, garlic cloves and rosemary springs to the bag. Squeeze air out and seal. Squish chicken around in all ingredients again to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Marinade in the fridge for at least one hour.
4. Heat grill and cook chicken over a medium flame for 7-8 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through.
HONEY BASIL GRILLED PEACHES
Recipe from Stacie Billis, the blogger and chef behind One Hungry Mama.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
1 bunch fresh basil (roughly 2 cups loosely packed)
1 T canola oil (plus more for greasing the grill)
4 T orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
1 C honey
8 ripe peaches, washed, cut in half & pit removed
1. In a food processor, combine basil, oil, orange juice and honey. Mix until the basil is very finely chopped.
2. Pour marinade over peaches and, if you have time, allow to sit at room temp for 30 minutes or so. If you don’t have the time, skip to the next step.
3. Liberally grease your grill. Place peaches on the grill cut side down. Cook for 7 minutes or so, until they begin to soften and take on nice grill marks. Flip. Grill for another 7 minutes. Peaches should be very soft and beginning to ooze their natural juice. If your peaches weren’t very ripe to begin with, you may need to grill longer. Serve with Orange Honey Ricotta Sauce (see recipe below), yogurt or ice cream.
ORANGE HONEY RICOTTA SAUCE
1 C whole or skim milk
Ricotta cheese, fresh if possible
Juice of 1 orange
1/2 t cinnamon
1 T honey
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Liberally coat the bottom of a plate with sauce and add Honey Basil Grilled Peaches on top or simply drizzle sauce over the peaches.
For more everyday culinary inspiration from our bloggers, head over to Yummy Delicious.